Vocational Opportunities, Training, Education / Employment Unit (VOTEE)
The mission of CSOSA's Vocational Opportunities, Training, Education and Employment (VOTEE) Unit is to assist offenders in becoming productive members of the community by providing educational, training and employment assistance opportunities. The men and women referred to VOTEE will receive educational, occupational training and/or employment assistance based on their individual needs.
VOTEE staff utilize educational and vocational assessment tools to assess the needs of offenders referred to the VOTEE Centers. All assessments are scheduled within two (2) business days after receipt of the referral. Upon completion of the assessment and other screening tools, each offender is provided an Individual Development Plan (IDP) or an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) based on their particular needs as identified by the assessment results.
Learning Lab Specialists assist offenders in improving their educational level, facilitate life skills preparation and administer educational and vocational assessments. In addition, the unit provides Information Systems Technology (IST) training.
Vocational Development Specialists assist offenders in preparing for employment opportunities and/or refer offenders to vocational programs based on vocational assessments and the offender's interests, skills and abilities.
VOTEE operates Learning Labs in four community field sites. In each, educational and vocational development specialists work with offenders who need to improve their educational level, obtain vocational skills training and/or find employment. The Learning Labs are located at:
- 1230 Taylor Street, NW
- 4923 East Capitol Street, SE (St. Luke's Center)
- 25 K Street, NE
- 4415 South Capitol Street, SE
Educational Services Provided:
- ABE (Adult Basic Education)
- GED (General Education Development)
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Life Skills Program
- Educational Referral Services
- Job Readiness Assistance (i.e., resume writing, interviewing skills)
- Occupational Training Services and Referrals
- Job Placement and Referral Services
- Job Coaching (Employment Follow-up and Tracking)
- Technology Training
- Computer Aided Instruction
Hours of Operation:
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Evening Technology Training (hours and locations vary)
Hiring People on Community Supervision (May 21, 2010)